Re: Photozella - A different take

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coccozella's Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Riverslug on November 09, 2006 at 20:10:24:

In Reply to: Photozella - A different take posted by Sun Sand Man on October 31, 2006 at 11:35:29:

: First off, I'm not writing this to create dissention or arguments; rather, I'm just trying to provide a different view of the Photozella events.

: While the pictures are nice and the coverage of the event is widespread, it's a little bit deceiving to label Photozella galleries "nudism." The fact that the participants are aware of the cameras and sign releases (I think) makes this a professional photo shoot, not a true candid beach situation. If you go back over all the other "nudism" labeled galleries, you'll notice that they are very different than the Photozella one's (notably with the exception of some of the nudist olympic and controversial nudist pageant galleries). One of the things that I've relied upon here at Cocco's is the proper labeling of galleries...nothing is more frustrating than visiting other/lesser sites and clicking on "beach" or "nudist" links only to find staged situations/models/awareness of the camera. In otherwords, nudist photography has generally been about candidness and unawareness of the camera's presence. Again, this is not to say that the Photozella photos are not a good thing. But they are not really nudism, as we've come to expect it from a voyeur point of view, are they? It's more inline with public events, like NAP or motorcycle rallies or even Spencer Tunic shoots.

I'm hoping that future Photozellas don't depart substantially from the current formula. What makes an image a "nudism" pic? IMHO, any image that projects the spirit of the naturist lifetyle. I see Photozella as a trip to the beach with photographers. Sure, it is staged, but it also looks like just a damn good time at the beach. If the males are shown to be participating in events with the women as well as socializing with them - not just photographing them - then that's what tips the balance and makes these more like naturist pics than just a photoshoot. Long before there was voyeur beach photography, there were pics of naturists enjoying themselves, playing games, doing whatever they do. The idea was to project an image of innocent hedonism, I guess. The pics made you want to be there, doing what they were doing. And basically, I want Photozella to do more or less the same thing as those original naturist pics did, but with perhaps even a more practiced, artistic eye.

Today, voyeur beach photography is what a lot of people think of when they think of a "nudism pic". But why does a "nudism pic" have to be a voyeur candid situation? I don't think that the spirit of naturism is necessarily compromised by the introduction of the model & photographer. Especially not when the photographer is also a subject. In some event type pics, the males are subjects first, photographers second. Other times, its the other way around. But the line is often blurred and either way, you have at worst a hybrid which has at least some attributes of a "reality" pic.

Anyway, hidden/candid voyeur type nudism has many limitations, and I miss the fun and good times depicted in the old naturist pics. New, hi res non voyeur type naturist pics are hard to come by, except maybe pics of friends posing at the beach or pseudonaturist offerings (helios natura). Call Photozella "Pseudonaturism" if you want, but it is still fresh and a welcome relief to babes just lying on the beach.
And I'll even go so far to say that Photozella's models are "naturists for a day" as much as they are models. IF they had a great time, played tug of war, made some new friends and forgot about the photographers at least some of the time, then they would qualify, IMHO.

Riverslug

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Password :

(type this password into the password box)
Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: